Tuesday, May 31, 2011

More on Ground Based Movements.....



Okay....this is an extension to my previous post but I am seeing more and more miraculous cases where clients are coming in to see me with chronic pain and dysfunction. Most of these people are seeing physical therapists, getting body work, you name it, they are doing it! I am not trying to toot my horn but these people are getting better VERY QUICKLY and it is not because I am doing anything magical (well.....we can call it FMS magic, he he he).

I had a very athletic woman who came in today to see me and she actually scored quite well on the movement screen (16/21). The challenge is that she injured her left hip flexor in yoga which might have stemmed from an overuse injury from all of her endurance sports. Whether she has a TEAR in her psoas/groin area or not, one thing is clear: she did not have the ability to disassociate her hips from pelvis/low back area,. While performing the HURDLE STEP test, she clearly compensated by using her low back and pelvis to try and lift her hip over the hurdle. It was UGLY!!!!  She scored a 1 on both legs!!! Obviously getting her one leg proved to me that she has no business distance running right now because she cannot even stand on one leg and flex her other hip. Everything else in her FMS was fine. Her mobility in the shoulders and ASLR were both #3's.

What to do????

I gave her the rolling patterns as showed in Mark Snow's VIDEO posted in my previous BLOG POST!!!
I also gave her the Stability Ball Posterior Rock and it worked wonders. She got up and nailed a solid 2 on her Hurdle Step and she was SHOCKED!!! In my opinion her deep stabilizers were not firing at all causing her to use her prime movers (more global muscles) to do the job as mobilizers and stabilizers (which they were never designed to do anyway). Most of her issues seem to be NEURAL in nature!!!

Stability Ball Posterior Rocking: Maintain a Neutral Spine and you MUST breathe using your Diaphragm during the entire movement: Start by pushing with two hands and then go to single hand. Focus on breathing!!

Once again...I am even more convinced that rolling and ground based movements are often overlooked!

Thoughts?

4 comments:

Michael said...

Ground-based movements are our foundation and we all know what happens when a foundation is compromise. Breathing patterns, rolling patterns, bird dogs, etc are often the first movements lost and they are essential for efficient function. It is a shame that more of the medical and wellness communities don't take a better look these essentials. Great job Franz!

Franz Snideman said...

Thank you for the feedback Michael!We are hopefully living in an era where we are returning to better movement principles through better awareness of foundation primitive patterns, FMS, etc.

Mike Perry said...

Another great post Franz!

I always look forward to reading your blog.

Great video of posterior rocking as well, I forgot about that one!

Congrats on SR. RKC as well

Franz Snideman said...

Hey Thanks Mike!!!!!!!!!