Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Tuesday Training

After reading one of Rif's posts on the dragon door forum about being consistent, it really got me thinking about how important simplicity is in training. So often people(including myself) are so bamboozled by fancy complicated programs that we forget that at the end of the day the only thing that matters is doing something, and doing it well. A simple and effective program design that is actually applied will always beat out the fancy schmancy program that is too complicated and technical where one ends up burning themselves out or just getting too overwhelmed. Slow and steady is the name of the game. It reminds me of what told myself aftet I blew my lumbar disc out for the second time; THINK LONG TERM! If I cannot tolerate the training load, intensity and frequency, than how I am going to tolerate it over the long run? This is something I constantly battle with. My stupid ego gets in the way and I think am better than I am, big mistake.

I have the tendency to go too hard, too quickly which always leads to overtraining and in my case an orthopedically screwed up body. Slow progressive increases in training load and volume are essential if one wants to stick in this training game for the long run. God, please help me remember this post down the road. Don't overdo it Franz, you knucklehead!

Tuesday Training

A-1 Double Clean and Press
2 x 20kg 1 x 5
2 x 24kg 5 x 5

B-1 Single Arm Bench Row
24kg 5 x 5/5

C-1 Snatches
24kg 5 x 5/5

Felt good today, even though my legs are TOAST from my Sunday workout.

Monday

Bikram's Yoga (this helped my recovery and instantly made my sore legs feel better)

7 comments:

Mark Reifkind said...

exactly.it's way more important to do program minimum and not miss any sessions, increase loads when youcan, back off when you have to then have the super duper perfect periodized plan that noone sticks to.

Royce said...

Man can I relate to this post, slow and steady, your body will tell you when it's time to move up.
That ego thing sucks, kill it!!!!

Franz Snideman said...

Yes Rif, so true. My body is paying for it right now. Too much, too soon, my typical training mistake. I was the kid who when went to the food buffet always bit off more than he could chew, taking every plate that looked good. Of course I never finished my food and my parents would always scold me. Bottom line, less is more. Consistency is the key.

Royce, you and me both bro. The ego in me is the enemy. Too big and often way to STUPID!

Tracy Reifkind said...

As much as I hate to admit it, Bikram yoga plays a big part in keeping my shoulder healthy.

I haven't been going as much, because I was trying Vinyasa. That (Vinyasa) messed up my shoulder! So back to Bikram!

I've got to keep opening it up and stretching it out. Tracy

Franz Snideman said...

Tracy,

I have had limited success with other types of Yoga. Bikram's has been the only one that has consistently helped me. Ashtange was too agressive and I always injured myself just trying to keep up. If Bikram helps you, you should for sure get back to it :)

Pete said...

Franz,

Your self awareness is what will prevent you from re-injuring yourself. We all need to think of the long haul. Rif said it best when he addressed the effects on the body of competitive athletes versus those who train for the longetvity and health. One is meant for the pursuit of the gold (and damn the consequences) and the other is for mental and physical betterment. Somehow, I think that RKCs are somewhere in between. Never satisfied with the satus quo and pushing the envelope in ways that hopefully don't cause any injury.

Franz Snideman said...

Amen to that Pete. I couldn't agree with you more. Life is not fun when you are stuck, not making progress and not challenging yourself, but then again overdoing it and injuring yourself no picnic either. The idea of "balance" like you talked about is key.